Light Whispering Thoughts

Wednesday, July 12, 2006

Respect and Love that Does Not Come Easy

People who know me best can agree that at times I tend to be wishy washy. I don't really know what I want and I change my mind all the time! I've come to realize that I've always valued others opinon more than my own. I'm not exactly the best decision maker in the world. Sometimes I wish a bolt of lighting would flash across the sky and tell what house I should buy, what career I should have, who I should marry, what type of clothing I should wear, what type of car I should buy, what I should invest in etc.

There are certain people in my life who's opinon and advice I take to heart. The reason I value what they say is simply because I respect them. The problem I then have, is that I like to base all my decisions from other people's opinons. This has really led me to question the respect and love I have for myself. Perhaps it is just a lack of confidence, but dosen't a lack of confidence come from a distrust in yourself? Not only that, but if you can't respect yourself are you ever able to believe that other people respect you? Everyone has flaws, but are we ever able to look past them and see the beautiful bits and pieces of us?

Flashy beautiful models flood the magazines today in our culture. If I was only skinner, if I only had flawless skin, if I was only smarter, or if I only had more trendy clothing I would be happier with myself. Is it possible to be happy being you, even if your overweight, grumpy, thin, or wearing the same clothing you did 5 years ago? Can we still find the creative beauty in ourselfs? I believe we can never be happy unless were're able to love ourselfs. If we could just change our mind sets I wonder how many more women would show more concern about eating healthy, taking time for themselfs, being creative, and for once being proud when they look at themselfs in the mirror. I wonder what life would be like if ALL women could look at a piece of art, poetry, writing, or other expression of themselfs and say "Wow, look what I did, I'm amazing" To see inner beauty in us; to see the beautiful women God wants us to see. Once that can be seen we can start to respect ourselfs and our lives, and perhaps, just perhaps, we will be able to value our own choices in life.

I know I have to learn this about myself because I do have the abilty to make good choices. I have the abilty to worry less about what other people think. And yes, I have the ability to respect and love myself. One day I hope I will learn to look at myself or something I have created and say, "God thank you for who I am, thank you for letting me discover the beauty in myself."

13 Comments:

Blogger Sarah said...

First to comment on this! Yippee! Though I've already talked to Kat about this :) Love you Kat! And you've been growing and healing alot in this last year, I'm very impressed, so I'm sure you'll, one day soon, look in the mirror and see what everyone else sees: an absolutely wonderful, wise, gentle hearted, generous, helpful, selfless, beautiful woman.
You rock Kat... good luck with seeing yourself through God's eyes, as His beloved daughter. :)

5:48 PM  
Blogger Melanie said...

Kathy, I think you're beautiful and great and smart and hardworking, and I have amazing taste, so I must be right. So there.
Love you.

9:15 AM  
Blogger Carol said...

Kathy,

Everyone knows you are quite the young lady. Hopefully you will come to realize that also!!

10:34 AM  
Blogger Margaret said...

I think you are pretty fantastic, and like you, I can see this in other people. I recognise it in my friends and family, but like you, I have a harder time seeing it in myself. So if I see it in you it must be there. I am beginning to see myself through God's eyes and when I see myself or others through God's eyes I see the inner strength and beauty instead of what the world counts as beautiful. Kathy, we are "fearfully and wonderfully made" in the image of God.

7:28 AM  
Blogger Melanie said...

Like the new design Kath!

9:10 AM  
Blogger Melanie said...

Like the new design Kath!

9:10 AM  
Blogger Unknown said...

I like it, too!

2:34 PM  
Blogger Kathy said...

I just found out my design is the same as Carlie's blog. Dang! I was trying to be different *lol* But now I've failed...Oh woe..Woe is me

2:46 PM  
Blogger Claudia said...

I can make you a layout for your blog :) Im good at it, just give me the details of what you want, and I will work my magic :D

8:20 PM  
Blogger Kathy said...

You'd make me a layout Claudia?? Gee I don't really know what I want...I like tropical things and love the colour pink...thanks for for the offer :)...although if you don't have time to make one..that's alright...summer time can get crazy busy!

9:06 AM  
Blogger Claudia said...

Yayyy, I will work on it tonight! :D

9:04 PM  
Blogger Claudia said...

It's ready!! Do you know how to install it?

Let me know how to send it to you :)

11:01 PM  
Blogger Kathy said...

My email is ducky104@hotmail.com...can you send it through email?

10:37 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home